[Kde-hardware-devel] KSolidNotifier - the return of the hacks - or what to do for frameworks

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:02:41 UTC 2011

> Hi peoples
>
> I'm hoping that one of you will pick up the following thing:
>
> in knotify daemon, there is a class called KSolidNotifier. It is
> basically code to reroute some notifications, if plasma is running,
> reroute everything, if plasma isn't running, trim things and do a
> galago-spec notification (usin KNotification)
>
> This was, according to my irc logs from ancient times and a email with
> De Simoi, because there at tthat time was the following alternatives:
> 1) put actually unrelated code into knotify
> 2) do yet another daemon
> 3) make solid depend on kdeui
>
> and 1) was chosen at that time.
>
> Now, I'm planning to kill the knotify daemon, since it nowadays mostly
> just repacks dbus messages, and create a separate library to just write
> the correct message the first time.
>
> This means that the KSolidNotifer code needs a new home, due to it
> either need to be in libsolid or alternatively, it needs to be a 'one
> instance running' kind of thing.
>
> I suggest one of the following (and hope that one of you will pick it up
> from here):
>
> 1) a kded module
> 2) a solidd
> 3) fold it into solid, make solid depend on the notification library I
> do. This will greatly simplyfy the code in KSolidNotifier
> 4) rethink the design of device notifications
> 5) something I haven't thought of.

3) or 1) would be good enough for me, but actually 4) would be better;
Aaron idea behind routing notifications thru the device notifier was supposed
to get extended to other plasmoids e.g. with battery notifications.
Ideally this could be done properly with the transition to frameworks,
but I guess that the usecases should be discussed in a broader setting.
In other words, I believe we should discuss with the plasma team and think seriously
about 4), otherwise we will be just moving a hack from knotify to kded
Perhaps we could invite aseigo/notmart to #solid to discuss this;

Cheers
__J