[Kde-hardware-devel] Detaching Solid::Control, and stuff

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Mar 27 15:49:28 CET 2010

On Monday 15 March 2010 23:53:08 Dario Freddi wrote:
> On my todo list, IIRC, there is joining up powerdevil with solid::control.
> I wanted to have a general ok and heads up before I actually step up and
> write the whole stuff. Are we still ok with removing Solid::Control
> completely? (I will probably write a blog post about it before starting
> just to make everyone aware - some apps are probably linking to control).

Yes!

Let me recap the reasoning:
 - Solid::Control was here to allow having different implementations of policy
agents in the user session;
 - The fact is that there's really only one of those agents for each type
(power, network, etc.) so there's no real advantage of exporting a lib;
 - If there's no need for a lib, we can just roll it back into each of the
agents and make it disappear;
 - With the organization we have right now the policy itself is isolated in a
kded module anyway so the system abstraction can be done there directly;
 - This way we can still have several competing ui so we don't loose that
much.

> Also, it looks like the meeting idea got lost in the wild - is there still
> some interest around for it?

See my previous mail in the relevant thread about that.

> About the upower backend, as you see I'm starting to move.

Excellent! Looking forward to it!

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net