[Kde-hardware-devel] Detaching Solid::Control, and stuff

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 10:11:02 CEST 2010

On Saturday 27 March 2010 15:49:28 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Let me recap the reasoning:
>  - Solid::Control was here to allow having different implementations of
> policy  agents in the user session;
>  - The fact is that there's really only one of those agents for each type
> (power, network, etc.) so there's no real advantage of exporting a lib;
>  - If there's no need for a lib, we can just roll it back into each of the
> agents and make it disappear;
>  - With the organization we have right now the policy itself is isolated in
> a  kded module anyway so the system abstraction can be done there
> directly; - This way we can still have several competing ui so we don't
> loose that much.

I've already started squashing the NM 0.8 backend into
Solid::Control::Network*.  Dario, this effectively kills your wicd backend (as
well as the NM 0.6 backend) in this design - are you cool with that?
Following on from that I will remove much of the abstraction from the backend
parts of NetworkManagement, and if you ever get time to work on wicd, you will
have to replace the whole network management kded module.  The connection UI
and storage will stay in a library as you said that this would be useful to
you as it covers what wicd supports.

Getting rid of two abstractions will simplify the code and increase my
motivation to work on it.

Will