[Kde-hardware-devel] Tokamak4 Network Management notes - progress update

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 11 01:18:36 CET 2010

Another quick status update on some of the points.

On Thursday 04 March 2010 18:27:28 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > This is done, pending interface details on Alex' table. (Alex, if you
> > > won't get to this shortly, I can pitch in here as well, should be fun
> > > code to write. Just let me know wether I should touch it or not. It's
> > > the largest part of the UI that's unfinished at this point)
> >
> > I just discussed this with Alex face to face, I think he should be clear
> > about what is needed and where the code to get the details comes from
> > (monolithic/tooltipbuilder.*).
>
> This can go into libs/internals/uiutils.{h,cpp}, so it's shared between
> knetworkmanager and the plasmoid.
[...]
> Yes, indeed. The extender provided a nice header. I'll try adding a label
> there.

This actually looks quite nice now. We can change the label based on what exactly is
shown, it's done on the left hand side already, RHS needs some work.

> > Is the yellow blob on an active system Ethernet connection icon
> > indicating it is active or that it is a system connection?  Oh it's a
> > badly rendered smilie
>
> Heh, I'll try to make it nicer.

The same smilie is now also on the left pane on the interfaceitems, the smilie
icon on the activatables on the right is still a bit wishy-washy, the
smaller icon is missing, nuno will create a suitable overlay icon for this (8x8). It
works a bit better now because the smilie occurs also on the interfaces where it's
much more visible. The smilie will likely become a globe, depicting the "internet
connection". I think that's closest to how the human mind maps the term "default
route".

> > :( indicating default route.  So active Ethernet connections need to be
> > :bolded too.
>
> Ah, bug. I'll fix it right away. :)

That's fixed. Tooltips and interfaceitems also display the current connection now.

I've set up another access point here with a hidden network. (I'm now up to 4
wifi networks I'm polluting the air for my neighbours with ;)). So I can start
testing it.

> > > Next on my plate.

I've also implemented this. The interface items now have more knowledge of the
active connections, meaning they can show their connection name as well.

> > > Next-next on my plate. ;-)

Also done. We have a "virtual VPN interface" item on the right now when VPN
connections are available. VPN connections are only shown when they're configured and
available, so the VPN interface shows up as soon as the computer is connected. I want
to add some code to connect to the VPN when there's only one available, since that's
the most common use case.

Cheers,
--
sebas