[Kde-hardware-devel] Tokamak4 Network Management notes - progress update

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 4 18:27:28 CET 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 17:50:59 Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 15:24:38 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > * Layout - AI: sebas, distribute mockups.  Roughly: continue twin pane
> > > approach.  LHS shows interface status overview and alternately
> > > interface details on click.
> >
> > This is done, pending interface details on Alex' table. (Alex, if you
> > won't get to this shortly, I can pitch in here as well, should be fun
> > code to write. Just let me know wether I should touch it or not. It's
> > the largest part of the UI that's unfinished at this point)
>
> I just discussed this with Alex face to face, I think he should be clear
> about what is needed and where the code to get the details comes from
> (monolithic/tooltipbuilder.*).

This can go into libs/internals/uiutils.{h,cpp}, so it's shared between
knetworkmanager and the plasmoid.

> > > RHS shows available connections and alternately all
> > > connections(wireless networks for which no connection exists) in list.
> >
> > Done, the two tabs are gone, everything's merged into one list, there's a
> > show all button now.
>
> This works but the layout looks a bit naked.  There is no separation
> between the left pane and the right pane, and there's no indication of
> what the panes contain.  When an interface is selected (in details mode),
> it isn't obvious that the right is showing that interface's connections.

Yes, indeed. The extender provided a nice header. I'll try adding a label there.

> Connections are not sorted, I think this should be by activity and then by
> type.

While playing around with it here, I didn't notice the sorting to be a problem, btw.
Known connections are at the top all the time anyway (that's how this widget works)
internally, but we don't change the position of the activatableitems on the fly, I
fear that this would make it all quite jumpy. The indicator bars are pretty clear
anyway. Use-case wise, you'll likely pull up the longer list of networks when you're
a) looking for a specific wifi network knowing its SSID, b) looking for an insecure
network to hook you up if you don't have credentials). Sorting for those would be
different of course. From testing here (I have 19 wireless networks around), the
lack of sorting is not a problem, but that's of course a rather limited use-case.

> Is the yellow blob on an active system Ethernet connection icon indicating
> it is active or that it is a system connection?  Oh it's a badly rendered
> smilie

Heh, I'll try to make it nicer.

> :( indicating default route.  So active Ethernet connections need to be
> :bolded too.

Ah, bug. I'll fix it right away. :)

> > > * Hidden networks - broken down the stack. AI: will to fix
> > > * Connection sharing - show 'Share this connection' when an active
> > > Ethernet or 3G interface is selected
> > > * Adhoc - will be presented as 'Create new network' in networks list
> >
> > Will, are you putting something suitable on the bus as RemoteActivatable,
> > or is this purely in the UI? (just calling activatable->activate() and
> > then having everything else happening somewhere else sounds finest to me.
>
> I'll put something on the bus for you.

Sweet. :)

> > > * Polishing - AI: agateau to continue to fix paper kuts.
> > > * Tooltip - no tooltip on popup, existing plasmoid tray icon tooltip
> > > nearly good enough but should show active connection names.
> >
> > Next on my plate.
> >
> > > * VPNs - AI: sebas to get himself a VPN to use and offer VPN
> > > connections in the connection list right hand pane
> >
> > Next-next on my plate. ;-)
> >
> > > * System connections - AI:will to add support for these in KCM.
>
> Otherwise, great work!

Thanks :)
--
sebas