[Kde-hardware-devel] Shared signals for solid devices

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:07:56 CET 2010

Dear metalworkers,

 As far as I understand at the moment each device instance manages its own signals and doesn't react to
changes induced by other instances which might have been created for the same device.
I would like to add some common signals which would be sent to all instances referring to the same /storage/ device. Here come some usecases:

Wouldn't it be nice if when finished unmounting a device with dolphin or with the solid runner the "green checkmark" comes up in the device notifier?
Wouldn't it be nice if each instance of a device knows that the device is going to be unmounted soon and prepares itself accordingly (e.g by not polling the free space, since it gives no meaningful result in that situation)
Wouldn't it be nice if when performing a job (e.g. some long backup is in progress), all devices would disable the "unmount" action, since it's going to fail anyways; or would be able to ask the user if (s)he wants to stop the job and go on with the unmounting...

If you answered yes to at least one of the previous questions, then we are in business =P

For the first two cases i can only think of a dbus signal containing the udi which is listened by every hal storage device, which will act by emitting another (qt) signal. I don't know about performance issues with this idea..
The last case should be also helped by kio but imho it shouldn't be extremely complicated.

I am willing to implement the bits, but I'd like to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks
 __J