[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP Backend - Current State

Paulo Rômulo p.romuloo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:19:41 CEST 2010

Hello, all.

As you should know, GSoC ended last week. I've made a blog post [1] about my
project, but for those who didn't see, I'm here to talk about the current
state of the UPnP backend.

Well, we have support for two kind of UPnP devices: media server and
internet gateway. The UPnPMediaServer class implements the StorageAccess
interface, where the idea is to make media servers available to the user
like a remote 'pendrive' or something similar. The access to the stored
files will be made through the upnp-ms:/ kio slave, developed by Nikhil in
the other GSoC project. For the user, media servers are shown in the
kfileplaces kpart and device notifier. In the future, maybe it'd be good if
we have a specific MediaServer interface, exporting other informations that
are not intended to StorageAccess.

On the IGD side, I had to implement its specific interface
(InternetGateway). For now, it's possible to do some port redirects in an
available UPnP router, besides get and toggle the router's internet access
(this operation is optional to the vendors). It's possible to get the
current WAN connections active in the router, too. Actually, I'd need some
research to know what developers wish to see available in an UPnP router, in
terms of operations. Me and ervin thought pretty much about the redirects
only. The idea here is to integrate UPnP IGDs with the general KDE network
management in the future.

HUPnP (the UPnP library used) need some little fixes, too. I'll talk with
Tuomo (author and maintainer) ASAP about this.

(Oh, let me only open this parenthesis here:

@ervin: can you believe that he changed the API *again*? :-p).

You can see other tasks I want to do from now on in the blog post. I'll keep
you informed. Soon the backend will be built by default, just waiting for
ervin's look at my CMake patches.

That's all for now. Feel free to ask.

[1] http://pauloromulo.blogspot.com/

Cheers,