[Kde-hardware-devel] teardown timeout?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 19:44:40 CEST 2009

On Thursday 1 October 2009 10:29:25 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
>  I've been experiencing some issues with what appears to be a teardown
>  timeout; in particular when copying a relatively large chunk of data to my
>  super-slow-n-cheap sd card and unmounting, the process takes about 1
>  minute or mabye more (and succeeds); nevertheless after 30 seconds (or so)
>  I get a tearDownDone with a failure, even if the data is still to be
>  flushed to the card (the light is still on and I cannot act on the device
>  in any way). When the flushing actually finishes, everything is back to
>  normal. I understand that a timeout there is needed in case something goes
>  very wrong, but on the other hand this might confuse the casual user. Can
>  anybody think of a solution for this?

In fact the error is triggered by the D-Bus timeout (as the called method is
sync). What we should do in this case is to propagate a more meaningful error
message. IIRC right now we just blindly propagate the D-Bus timeout error
message.

I don't really have the time to work on it these days, but that would make a
nice and easy Junior Job for people wanting to discover a bit more how
libsolid is made. Any taker? I'd of course answer questions if any.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."