[Kde-hardware-devel] 2009 introspective

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu May 7 19:02:23 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 07:18:30 Dario Freddi wrote:
> For Solid-Wicd, the plan is to make it work with the networkmanagement
> applet, in order for us to be the first to have a multibackend network
> manager. But this requires quite a lot of work, and Will's take on this
> could be more helpful than mine.

It'll definitely pay off, mid-term. The Intel guys are working on ConnMan, a
replacement for networkmanager that's better and faster and does everything
with less dependencies and works on mobile etc.

These prospects look pretty cool, but given the time it took networkmanager to
become usable, it might take a while and probably networkmanager and connman
will both be used for a while -- so a multi-backend networkmanager makes a lot
of sense.

First we need to get networkmanager into a releasable state though. IMO it's
probably one of the biggest missing items for a fully functional KDE 4
desktop.
--
sebas