[Kde-hardware-devel] 2009 introspective

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 5 20:47:57 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2009 21:53:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > I'm putting together a "where are we now, where are we going" snapshot of
> > as many of the "big pieces" in KDE 4 as possible, and I'd like some input
> > from you on Solid.
>
> All in all, I don't think there has been a tremendous amount of discussion
> on this list, not about Solid or anything else.

does that mean that:

* discussion isn't needed, we all know where we're going (in which case: where
is that?)

* discussion would help, but isn't happening (in which case: what kind of
discussion should be happening and where? and let's set it up. irc meetings
are a great way to kick it up a notch)

> > * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?
>
> Best I can come up with -- but then I'm not in much of a position to know
> what Solid *should* do, so for me it's a matter of "USB plugging works on
> my systems" -- is that there are better plans for UPnP integration across
> the KDE desktop, with at least three "rival" non-communicating disconnected
> efforts going on (Amarok internals, coherence, Jolie and network:/ are
> keywords here).

jolie doesn't actually do UPnP, it jut connects together the pieces once you
know where they are. we still need a proper announcement and discovery service
and are planning on using UPnP; i'd prefer to use a KDE framework, e.g.
coherence, than roll our own in plasma (obviously :) .. and that's why i'm
doing this: to expose what's happening and where we can work together better.

so ... can someone expound on Coherence a bit more so i can include something
coherent (ha! ha!) about it in the introspective?

> I'm not sure that this list (as distinct from what
> Solid does) is in any shape to answer as comprehensively as you have.

i think you're doing a great job with these emails so far, so have faith :)

note that plasma is a hard act to follow in this regard. the plasma team is a
little obsessed with the topics of design and direction. i don't think many
other kde projects can match plasma in that regard ... *yet*. and that's what
this introspective is all about, actually, helping improve this area for
everyone :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se