[Kde-hardware-devel] 2009 introspective

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:18:30 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 23:57:37 Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Are there any *other* HW related things going on? Does consolekit count?
> Does powerdevil? I don't think Dario is on this list, but perhaps he should
> be. In many cases I'm worried about the long-term cross-platformness of KDE
> -- not restricted to Solid or powerdevil -- because of the enormous weight
> that modern-linux-based developers put on the scale compared to other
> platforms (to the point of no, kde 4.2 won't compile with last year's xorg,
> let alone non-xorg platforms).

Yeah, I'm on this list, and replying was on my plans, sorry if I didn't do
this early but this week it's exams time. Anyway.

My plans for PowerDevil are the ones I described on my blog post here:
http://drfav.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/the-future-of-powerdevil-and-of-power-
management/ , on which I would have mailed the list (and you Aaron, as I read
your blog post and wanted to discuss this with the largest possible developer
base, as this is not a light change) to ask for more feedback and guidance,
and I take this occasion for doing it now. From the comments (some interesting
to read), feedback seems nice.

PowerDevil is multiplatform for the most part, however, some pieces are
definitely not there. Breaking down Powerdevil into the structure described
above would surely help us, though, to split up the relevant non-multiplatform
code.

On my plans: remove the Idle detection code in PowerDevil and put it somewhere
else. Many applications (KMess and Plasma jobs, to say 2) are using an
implementation of XScreensaver that is not only bad performance-wise compared
to what PowerDevil uses, but hardcoded and not multiplatform. Feedback
welcome: I'd like to add a notification library that allows you to:

 * Get Idle time
 * Set an amount of idle time after which a signal will be streamed

Solid or KDELibs? And where in those two?

For Solid-Wicd, the plan is to make it work with the networkmanagement applet,
in order for us to be the first to have a multibackend network manager. But
this requires quite a lot of work, and Will's take on this could be more
helpful than mine.

Can't think about anything else right now, sorry if it turned into a "please
give me some feedback", but hey, maybe that is what it was meant to be :)

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B