[Kde-hardware-devel] 2009 introspective

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 6 00:44:53 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > So I just wait for and try to encourage
> > those who do have these to add an UPnP backend for the kioslave (see
> > kdebase/runtime/kioslave/network/network/builder) and perhaps cooperate
> > on the contained network library as a whole. No rivaling here :)
>
> Privately you and I have communicated about UPnP in network:/, and I'm
> attending the Amarok / coherence thing this weekend. I've got a nice Qt app
> up and running that manages enough stuff that would make sense in network:/
> by now; integrating that into the KDE code is something for later this
> month.

cool; can you share:

* an executive summary as to what coherence is/does for the introspective (a
1-2 liner would be enough, but i want it from the horses mouth; i'm just the
donkey in this one ;)

* an svn/git/$whatever URI that i could use to check out coherence from?

> > But sure, things could improve a lot. It may mostly lack someone with
> > UPnP knowledge pushing things, so others can join the efforts.
>
> Are there any *other* HW related things going on? Does consolekit count?
> Does powerdevil? I don't think Dario is on this list, but perhaps he should
> be. In many cases I'm worried about the long-term cross-platformness of KDE
> -- not restricted to Solid or powerdevil -- because of the enormous weight

Solid is designed to be cross platform in the same fashion that Phonon is.
unfortunately nobody's stepped up to write a backend for non-modern-linux.

powerdevil is supposed to be an implementation detail hidden by Solid as well,
apparently.

> platforms (to the point of no, kde 4.2 won't compile with last year's xorg,
> let alone non-xorg platforms).

usually this can be worked around, and i'm assuming this involves code in
kdebase/workspace. if so, please let me know when this happens. of plasma-
devel at kde.org for that matter.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se