[Kde-hardware-devel] powerdevil acpi support

Mateusz Jasinski matt1606 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:19:51 CEST 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 20:23:52 Mateusz Jasinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running debian testing with a custom build of linux-2.6.27 kernel (from
> debian kernel development) on a dell inspiron e1505. During configuration
> I've disabled all deprecated acpi modules. The frequency scaling (through
> acpi- cpufreq) works ok, screen brightness control is also working well,
> but powerdevil (v 1.3.0 on KDE 4.1.2 from debian lenny backports) doesn't
> detect my battery. While acpi log from dmesg shows me: "ACPI: Battery Slot
> [BAT0] (battery present)", the powerdevil->capabilities gives me: "Number
> of Batteries 0", so any powersaving profile is not working. My question is:
> does poverdevil/solid requires acpi-support, acpi scripts and acpid to run
> properly (because starting acpid while having disabled deprecated acpi
> kerel modules gives me error of reading the /proc/acpi/event - that file is
> not created at all because of the mentioned above kernel config)?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Mateusz

Now I've tested some settings and the deprecated acpi modules have to be
enabled in the kernel config to properly run powerdevil. The acpid doesn't
have to be enabled/installed because there is a kacpid on the process list. So
another question: will powerdevil/solid/kacpid support the new interface of
reporting acpi events (AFAIK this is/will be done by netlink)?

Regards,

Mateusz