[Kde-hardware-devel] powerdevil acpi support

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Oct 19 02:00:38 CEST 2008

Hi Mateusz,

On Friday 17 October 2008 23:19:51 Mateusz Jasinski wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2008 20:23:52 Mateusz Jasinski wrote:
> > I'm running debian testing with a custom build of linux-2.6.27 kernel
> > (from debian kernel development) on a dell inspiron e1505. During
> > configuration I've disabled all deprecated acpi modules. The frequency
> > scaling (through acpi- cpufreq) works ok, screen brightness control is
> > also working well, but powerdevil (v 1.3.0 on KDE 4.1.2 from debian lenny
> > backports) doesn't detect my battery. While acpi log from dmesg shows me:
> > "ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)", the
> > powerdevil->capabilities gives me: "Number of Batteries 0", so any
> > powersaving profile is not working. My question is: does poverdevil/solid
> > requires acpi-support, acpi scripts and acpid to run properly (because
> > starting acpid while having disabled deprecated acpi kerel modules gives
> > me error of reading the /proc/acpi/event - that file is not created at
> > all because of the mentioned above kernel config)?

Can you check with lshal if your battery is reported correctly?

> Now I've tested some settings and the deprecated acpi modules have to be
> enabled in the kernel config to properly run powerdevil. The acpid doesn't
> have to be enabled/installed because there is a kacpid on the process list.
> So another question: will powerdevil/solid/kacpid support the new interface
> of reporting acpi events (AFAIK this is/will be done by netlink)?

Solid will support that on top of HAL, or in fact whatever powermanagement
system you are using (AFAIK, at this point the only backend for Solid's power
management is the HAL backend.)

So in theory, Solid finds whatever HAL reports. HAL might break on things like
playing with your kernel's ACPI configuration. The correct fix (that would
work across applications or frameworks) would probably to teach HAL how to
deal with your setup.

Hope to help,
--
sebas