[Kde-hardware-devel] inhibit suspend

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 18:19:49 CEST 2008

On Thursday 02 October 2008 16:48:24 Kevin Ottens wrote:

> > > Excuse me, but what's the point of exposing that in the battery applet?
> > > It's merely a service provided to applications, it's not supposed to be
> > > triggered by the user.
> >
> > It is. Most applications don't support inhibit at this point, some never
> > will. Think for example:
> > - watching movies on youtube
> > - presentations in openoffice
> > - just leaving the computer for a bit
> > - long compile jobs
>
> I'm not sure I understand your point, do you mean that users are going to
> use the battery applet to type a message on why they don't want the box to
> suspend automatically? And then come back when they're done to disable the
> inhibition again?

No typing of a message, just a checkbox in the applet, like in this screenshot
http://vizzzion.org/tmp/powerdevil-plasmoid2.png

> If yes, I'm sorry but that looks like feature creep to me, and also giving
> the user the right tool to do bad stuff (like if the user forgets to
> disable it after having his daily fix of junk on youtube his box will go to
> critical level of the battery before suspending)...
>
> I think that I'm really not in love with such a thing (at least in an such
> a proeminent applet of the default installation).

I think it's mighty useful. :)

The whole point of this feature (besides apps getting it right over time) is
to have it at your fingertips. Maybe we should also inhibit the screensaver,
and dpms and call it "presentation mode" or something. I'm not overly happy
with the current label.

Another option for most of those usecases would be to replace this checkbox
with the spinner where you set idle time suspend.
--
sebas