[Kde-hardware-devel] inhibit suspend

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 16:48:24 CEST 2008

Le Thursday 02 October 2008, Sebastian Kügler a écrit :
> On Thursday 02 October 2008 15:43:41 you wrote:
> > > I'll seek to commit the inhibit feature to the battery later today.
> >
> > Excuse me, but what's the point of exposing that in the battery applet?
> > It's merely a service provided to applications, it's not supposed to be
> > triggered by the user.
>
> It is. Most applications don't support inhibit at this point, some never
> will. Think for example:
> - watching movies on youtube
> - presentations in openoffice
> - just leaving the computer for a bit
> - long compile jobs

I'm not sure I understand your point, do you mean that users are going to use
the battery applet to type a message on why they don't want the box to suspend
automatically? And then come back when they're done to disable the inhibition
again?

If yes, I'm sorry but that looks like feature creep to me, and also giving the
user the right tool to do bad stuff (like if the user forgets to disable it
after having his daily fix of junk on youtube his box will go to critical
level of the battery before suspending)...

I think that I'm really not in love with such a thing (at least in an such a
proeminent applet of the default installation).

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."