[Kde-hardware-devel] inhibit suspend

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 18:31:46 CEST 2008

Le Thursday 02 October 2008, Sebastian Kügler a écrit :
> The whole point of this feature (besides apps getting it right over time)
> is to have it at your fingertips. Maybe we should also inhibit the
> screensaver, and dpms and call it "presentation mode" or something. I'm not
> overly happy with the current label.

So why isn't it a profile in the first place? I really don't see a need to
special case the inhibit, and it'll definitely be error prone. Its mechanism
and behavior is really "temporarily suppress sleep, I'll tell you as soon as
I'm done", which is suited for computerized tasks. The profiles are better
user oriented since you tell "ok, I want this mode now" and the behavior
follow.

Playing with inhibits we'll have a nasty mix of user needs and application
hints...

> Another option for most of those usecases would be to replace this checkbox
> with the spinner where you set idle time suspend.

It'd be slightly better, but again it calls for having it on profiles IMO.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."