[Kde-hardware-devel] [kde-artists] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 12:37:14 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 17 juin 2007, Jakob Petsovits a écrit :
> On Sunday, 17. June 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > and while i can see the point of drive-optical-dvd i can't see the point
> > of media-optical-dvd, though i can see the point of media-optical-video.
>
> I can see the point of media-optical-dvd (and in fact, we already have such
> an icon today - dvd_unmount - and we even had one in KDE 3.5, so it seems
> there actually is a use for this),

Well, yes, it's used... but wrongly in most places. It's only used if the
medium is a dvd video, otherwise it's never used. Hence why
media-optical-video-dvd would make more sense to me... But as I said we
probably have enough icons to make to live with media-optical,
media-optical-audio and media-optical-video only.

> but I can't see the point of
> drive-optical-dvd.
>
> After all, current disc drives can for sure read multiple disc types,
> so in fact there is no "DVD drive", it's a "CD/DVD drive", or
> a "CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Bluray drive" in the future.
> In short, an optical drive, no further specialization necessary.

Yup, I agree here, it would open the door to have all combinations of
drive-optical-(dvd|bluray|hddvd) and even more in the future.

> > i really can't see the point of media-optical-video-dvd (oy vey! how many
> > icons do we expect people to make ;)
>
> So, really, let's just leave out media-optical-video-anything, mmkay?

As I told: fine with me. I believe only media-optical, media-optical-audio and
media-optical-video are needed anyway.

> As this isn't mentioned in my current proposal anyways...
> any objections to its current state? Should I maybe commit it to SVN
> so we can easier keep track of it?

I'd say it'd be suitable for a wiki page maybe?

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."