[Kde-hardware-devel] [kde-artists] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Jun 17 22:08:35 CEST 2007

On Sunday, 17. June 2007, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > In line with my reasoning from above, that would rather be
> > > - media-optical-video
> > > - media-optical-dvd, media-optical-hddvd, media-optical-bluray
> > > - media-optical-video-dvd, media-optical-video-hddvd,
> > >   media-optical-video-bluray
>
> Well, honestly I don't think we need that many icons... The user don't care
> IMO about media-optical-dvd, etc. It doesn't add any value. That's also why
> I'm not a strong proponent of the media-optical-video-* ones. The basically
> wants to know if there's a video on his medium, he probably doesn't care if
> it's blueray, dvd or hddvd.

Exactly! So it doesn't make much sense to have the DVD icon (which hasn't got
any hint that there's video on it) as media-optical-video-dvd. If there's a
video file, media-optical-video should take preference over the standard
media-optical[-*] icons.

So we can just leave the specializations out. Only if there is a "DVD" icon
like the one that we've currently got, it should not contain "video" in its
name. That was my point, sorry if I didn't make it clear enough.

(Also, in the latest version (1.3) of the file, there isn't any mention of
media-optical-video-{dvd,hddvd,bluray}. It would just be very optional for
both icon designers and implementers, not needed at all.)