[Kde-hardware-devel] [kde-artists] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

Alexis Ménard darktears31 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:21:23 CEST 2007

2007/6/17, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

> On Sunday 17 June 2007, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> > > Well, honestly I don't think we need that many icons... The user don't
> > > care
> > > IMO about media-optical-dvd, etc. It doesn't add any value. That's
> also
> > > why
> > > I'm not a strong proponent of the media-optical-video-* ones. The
> > > basically
> > > wants to know if there's a video on his medium, he probably doesn't
> care
> > > if
> > > it's blueray, dvd or hddvd.
> >
> > Euh i have my opinion, i think we should create differents icons for
> > blueray/hddvd and dvd...I think in future it will be usefull to
> > differenciate old optical device and new "HD" device...
>
> given that we're talking about users looking at the icons in a file
> manager, a
> file dialog or in plasma ... what is the use case for this exactly?

Yes good question!

newer devices should be able to play older media, no? and older devices
> won't
> be able to play newer media, therefore no icon, correct? this information
> can
> go in the properties dialog or even an informational mouse over where
> appropriate, but are separate icons needed?

My suggestion was to differentiate my bluray/hddvd drive to my older dvd. In
one look i can find/explore the optical device drive wich contains the
buray/hddvd i have inserted or the optical device i want to configure/see
properties....It's just my "user" view : many times i click on the incorrect
device between my CDROM drive and my DVD drive...

i tend to agree with kevin on this one...