[Kde-hardware-devel] [kde-artists] Renaming Oxygen's devices/ icons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jun 17 22:11:53 CEST 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> > Well, honestly I don't think we need that many icons... The user don't
> > care
> > IMO about media-optical-dvd, etc. It doesn't add any value. That's also
> > why
> > I'm not a strong proponent of the media-optical-video-* ones. The
> > basically
> > wants to know if there's a video on his medium, he probably doesn't care
> > if
> > it's blueray, dvd or hddvd.
>
> Euh i have my opinion, i think we should create differents icons for
> blueray/hddvd and dvd...I think in future it will be usefull to
> differenciate old optical device and new "HD" device...

given that we're talking about users looking at the icons in a file manager, a
file dialog or in plasma ... what is the use case for this exactly?

newer devices should be able to play older media, no? and older devices won't
be able to play newer media, therefore no icon, correct? this information can
go in the properties dialog or even an informational mouse over where
appropriate, but are separate icons needed?

i tend to agree with kevin on this one...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se