[Kde-hardware-devel] kde-bluetooth part of solid?

Cerneels Bart bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 12:18:03 CEST 2006

Thanks for replying Kevin, I hope your having fun at aKademy.

2006/9/27, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:

> Le mercredi 27 septembre 2006 11:23, Cerneels Bart a écrit :
> > Hi Kevin,
>
> Hello,
>
> > I'm Stecchino, a Amarok hacker, but have an itch to contribute to KDE
> > itself with all the KDE4 momentum going on.
> > On that note: Recently Marco Gulino aka RockMan <
> marcogulino1 at virgilio.it>,
> > the author of kmobiletools and I; have started a quest to get
> kdebluetooth
> > back to a level so it can be integrated in KDE4. This won't be a simple
> > port because of the lack of a maintainer for the last 2 years or so.
> Some
> > heavy refactoring is in order.
>
> I admit that I don't know exactly what kdebluetooth is supposed to cover,
> but
> here is the thing about Solid:
> - For hardware discovery we'll provide bluetooth device detection at some
> point and peering;
> - But we won't provide all the facilities needed to do something to the
> devices.
>
> Since Solid is really a wrapper around underlying system, the actual dirty
> work will be delegated to HAL which will get those bluetooth facilities
> (someone is working on it, you might want to help, no idea if he's open to
> this). But we won't go further than listing bluetooth devices and the
> services they propose.

That is basically the main thing KDE bluetooth does right now, connect to a
device and list the supported services. For this it uses the Service
Discovery Protocol, handled by the sdpd daemon. The services themselves are
not really part of kde-bluetooth because they are mostly transport protocol
independent (see Obex). So it seems that part of kde-bluetooth is a Solid
thing. Which is cool because we want automatic discovery of bluetooth
devices in KDE4 programs. One use case: Amarok detects a mobile phone with
the HID service and let's it be used as a remote control.