[Kde-hardware-devel] Format application and backend features

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 12:29:04 CET 2006

Le Lundi 13 Mars 2006 19:05, Jean-Rémy Falleri a écrit :
> Ok! From what I read, I think now that  this format application could
> do more than just formatting media. So can we imagine it to be a
> simple partition manager, with which you can create a volume, delete a
> volume, format a volume, etc...

From the user point of view you can:
1) reformat a volume, keeping its fstype
The application needs nothing more than progress and error reporting
2) reformat a volume, changing its fstype
The application needs progress and error reporting, some repartitioning might
be done under the hood (and transparently)
3) "format" an empty storage device (no volume were previously on it)
Here we can go the easy way and consider that user want to format the whole
storage (in this case partitioning should also be done transparently). But
maybe we'd want to allow more... in this case it should be done in another
application maybe (read: not kformat). I'm not sure it wouldn't be overkill
though, it seems really low level and maybe it doesn't makes sense to expose
it through Solid.

To this short list we could also add raid and lvm (even more partitioning
tasks...). And we should definitely add the crypto volume case... but this
one doesn't look complicated, we only need to ask some specific information.

In any case it'll depend which features the backends will provide. AFAIK for
HAL there's some work on volume formatting, but I don't know if there's any
plan or work going on about storage partitioning. Davidz do you have any
insight on this?

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."