[Kde-hardware-devel] Format application and backend features

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Mar 15 01:23:51 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:29 +0100, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> In any case it'll depend which features the backends will provide. AFAIK for
> HAL there's some work on volume formatting, but I don't know if there's any
> plan or work going on about storage partitioning. Davidz do you have any
> insight on this?

Yes, as discussed on the hal at lists.freedesktop.org list, HAL will
provide methods PartitionDisk() for drives and FormatVolume() for
volumes.

Things like LVM might not be included initially but at least I want to
support LUKS in the FormatVolume() method. This is mainly because HAL
still needs a few fixes to provide interfaces for setting up a LV that
is backed by several PV's. It's not a lot of work doing the code, not
terribly interesting use-case and mainly just a lot of work testing
it. :-)

Exactly what parameters to be supported in PartitionDisk() and
FormatVolume() is still to be sorted out; we want to write this in a way
such that we can add LVM support without breaking anything.

    David