[Kde-hardware-devel] Format application and backend features

Jean-Rémy Falleri jr.falleri at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 19:05:03 CET 2006

> Well, it's not simply "on the user system", you surely want to know which
> fstypes are allowed for a particular volume (or storage? more on this below)
> for example you shouldn't format a cdrw as ext3, but you can format it for
> packet writing.

> From what you're explaining, it looks like you're only wanting to format
> volumes. What happens when you have a storage device with no volume?

Ok! From what I read, I think now that  this format application could
do more than just formatting media. So can we imagine it to be a
simple partition manager, with which you can create a volume, delete a
volume, format a volume, etc...

It would be really interesting to do it that way, but is it possible
that Solid could include some operations to analyse volumes of a given
device, create, delete... ???

> Moreover, the partition table needs to be updated when you reformat a vfat
> volume to ext3 (for example). Should this be updated transparently for you?
> Or it makes sense for KFormat to make all those modifications itself? (I tend
> to think that it should be handled transparently for you, but I'd like your
> opinion on this)

Sure, I think IMHO that advanced operations needed to be performed
when acting on a medium should be done transparently (only high level
actions should be used in the formatting application).  This way it's
easier to maintain all the GUI part of the application.
--
Jean-Rémy Falleri
jr.falleri at gmail.com