[Kde-hardware-devel] Thanks for the ideas.

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 15:12:02 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 09:39, Christopher Blauvelt said:
> I've implemented a lot of your ideas from the patch that you sent
> Kevin.  First I'd like to thank you for them, they've made the
> interface a lot easier to work with and I believe that I've addressed
> all the concerns you had in the patch.  A lot of the code that I
> implemented I did so without citing any external source (like your
> patch) because it seemed like a complicated thing and I was trying to
> churn out code as quickly as possible.  I'm writing because I know
> this can be a contentious area, having had someone take credit for
> code I had written on another project that was actually used verbatim.
>  I'm still a little unfamilar with how credit is given and wanted to
> address this with you so their aren't any hard feelings later.
> Drop
> me a line when you get back from vacation.  I hope you enjoy the rest
> of it.

Hi Christopher

The usual way to do assign credit is to do just that, assign credit

If you add (c) 2006 Will Stephenson <wstephenson at kde.org> in the files that
you've taken stuff from my patch, I'll be happy.

One word on the design of the patch I've submitted, it just expresses the
NetworkManager API in the Solid style, therefore, while it does things
nicely, it introduces NM's assumptions about how things work to the mix -
it's not a 1:1 adaptation of the OSI networking model, but has its own
simplifications that don't work in all situations.  See the discrete yet same
ESSID overlap problem mentioned by Stefan in the "Wifi interface" thread.

cheers

Will