[Kde-hardware-devel] Thanks for the ideas.

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 15:44:54 CEST 2006

Le mercredi 16 août 2006 15:12, Will Stephenson a écrit :
> One word on the design of the patch I've submitted, it just expresses the
> NetworkManager API in the Solid style, therefore, while it does things
> nicely, it introduces NM's assumptions about how things work to the mix -
> it's not a 1:1 adaptation of the OSI networking model, but has its own
> simplifications that don't work in all situations.  See the discrete yet
> same ESSID overlap problem mentioned by Stefan in the "Wifi interface"
> thread.

And IMHO that's fine, what we're looking for is something suitable to build
some high level services. That said we have to keep in mind the limitations
it introduces and see if we can fix them.

In particular I would be glad to have a way out for the ESSID overlap problem.
I think it'll depend on the backend implementations, but I'd like to be sure
the public API won't get in the way.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."