[kde-guidelines] Shift+Delete shortcut for "cut" standard action

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:42:32 UTC 2015

On Mittwoch, 3. Juni 2015 19:11:00 CEST, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 June 2015, 17:18:16 Thomas Lübking wrote:
>> CC'ing kde-guidelines.
>>
>> FYI, Shift+Del is IBMs common user access variant[5]... (for Cut)
> And therefore it is reflected in our guideline
> https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Keyboard_Shortcuts

I think Jan pitched to change that ;-)

> Dolphin is doing wrong with Shift+Del for delete
One has to admit that this assignment is rather popular due to the windows
explorer - I assume Jan intended to turn it into some delete+expunge for
Trojitá.

Don't ask me what to do - The situation is in one word: crap.
And it's *really* all MS fault (this time)

The predominantly known copy shortcut is ctrl+c which is the shortcut for
SIGINT and the predominant idea of shift+del is "force delete" while it's
"actually" "cut".

So it's impossible to have a coherent (established) shortcut system w/o
running into conflicts :-(

Right now dolphin ("explorer") and konsole (terminal emulator) are the
"exots" - maybe it's really best to keep both systems mandatory and declare
every deviation a (more or less reasonable) HIG violation *shrug*

Cheers,
Thomas