[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Mar 30 18:07:03 UTC 2014

On Sunday 30 March 2014 19:36:30 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> On 30.03.2014 00:18, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 March 2014, 20:38:05 Andrew Lake wrote:
> >> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/26/Category_search_pattern.png
> >
> > I think the position is good in case of some preselection is done
> > left-hand. But if we have navigational content it absolutely makes no
> > sense to place a search field there that affects the content only. For
> > instance a file browser with folders on the left and files at the client
> > area.
> >
> > All else looks nice to me except the missing main menu and the missing
> > scrollbar arrows. :-)
>
> I think so, too. I think the search field should be placed in the menu
> bar when the search will be performed in a global manner / lots of
> different directories that can't be accessed via the sidebar. Dolphin
> and I guess  Kmail would also fit in this category.
> Apps that use the sidebar to navigate the applications/ between
> different grouping options of the data should place the search field in
> the sidebar. A music player or a social media application would fall
> into this second category.
>
> In these second applications the search function is just a simple filter
> functions. And based on that I'm going to claim that the difference
> between search and filter is actually pretty meaningless in most use cases.
>
> Let's imagine a music player:
>
>     The applications currently is displays the album view. The user
>     opens the search dialogue and attempts to search for a specific
>     song, because the search function actually is filter here the
>     application will display the album which contains the target song.
>     The user now has two choices:
>     1) Click on the album and then navigate the the song
>     2) Click on "songs" in the sidebar and then directly navigate to the
>     song in question
>     This way no additional options for the search is needed - the
>     different options in the sidebar become the search controls.
>
> Let's imagine a application with a complicated structure like a file
> browser:
>
>     1)The application currently displays a random directory. The user
>     wants to find a file and has no idea where it resides. He calls the
>     search function and the search field appear in the menu bar along
>     with the option to display more settings. The search then returns
>     the wished results and the user will proceed with whatever they had
>     in mind.
>
>     2)The user currently navigates a directory with lets say over 100
>     files. The user then calls the filter function via a shortcut or a
>     menu entry. The search field appears in the menu bar along with a
>     option to display more settings. In these setting the option to only
>     search the current directory is toggled. The filter will return the
>     desired results and the user continues with what they were doing.
>
> With this in mind I propose to always demand an instant search. If the
> [...]

I think unifying search and filter mechanism makes a lot of sense from a user
perspective. It might be difficult to convince developers because they seem to
usually prefer to present things in a technically precise manner (Jens'
"precise vs. correct" comes to mind once again), but for users a filter and a
search in the current folder is presumable the same.