[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Philipp Stefan sogatori at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:36:30 UTC 2014

On 30.03.2014 00:18, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2014, 20:38:05 Andrew Lake wrote:
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/03/26/Category_search_pattern.png
> I think the position is good in case of some preselection is done left-hand.
> But if we have navigational content it absolutely makes no sense to place a
> search field there that affects the content only. For instance a file browser
> with folders on the left and files at the client area.
>
> All else looks nice to me except the missing main menu and the missing
> scrollbar arrows. :-)
I think so, too. I think the search field should be placed in the menu
bar when the search will be performed in a global manner / lots of
different directories that can't be accessed via the sidebar. Dolphin
and I guess  Kmail would also fit in this category.
Apps that use the sidebar to navigate the applications/ between
different grouping options of the data should place the search field in
the sidebar. A music player or a social media application would fall
into this second category.

In these second applications the search function is just a simple filter
functions. And based on that I'm going to claim that the difference
between search and filter is actually pretty meaningless in most use cases.

Let's imagine a music player:

    The applications currently is displays the album view. The user
    opens the search dialogue and attempts to search for a specific
    song, because the search function actually is filter here the
    application will display the album which contains the target song.
    The user now has two choices:
    1) Click on the album and then navigate the the song
    2) Click on "songs" in the sidebar and then directly navigate to the
    song in question
    This way no additional options for the search is needed - the
    different options in the sidebar become the search controls.

Let's imagine a application with a complicated structure like a file
browser:

    1)The application currently displays a random directory. The user
    wants to find a file and has no idea where it resides. He calls the
    search function and the search field appear in the menu bar along
    with the option to display more settings. The search then returns
    the wished results and the user will proceed with whatever they had
    in mind.

    2)The user currently navigates a directory with lets say over 100
    files. The user then calls the filter function via a shortcut or a
    menu entry. The search field appears in the menu bar along with a
    option to display more settings. In these setting the option to only
    search the current directory is toggled. The filter will return the
    desired results and the user continues with what they were doing.

With this in mind I propose to always demand an instant search. If the
search takes a bit longer an indicator that the query is still being
processed can be shown. We can also get rid of the difference between
the filter and the search functionality. The search field and the filter
field are the same entity with the different predefined settings. They
reside in the same area and use the same label and icon.

The different shortcuts will then only be a quick way to change between
different parameters of the search function.

I think this way the guidelines can be simplified greatly and I think
the behaviour of the whole function become clearer/more consistent to
the user. I think the user generally doesn't really care about the
technical differences, and those who do can simply change them in the
search settings.

What do you think?

Phil