[kde-guidelines] Visual Design Guidelines + HIG

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Mar 27 23:47:46 UTC 2014

On Thursday 27 March 2014 23:28:26 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2014, 14:05:23 Andrew Lake wrote:
> > Let me know if this is ok and I'll go ahead and start this second phase of
> > integration.
>
> Baxley's approach is to define a general outline for styleguides, basically
> to compare web sites. I believe it is always a good idea to stay with
> proved methods, but of course we can do our own guideline. Actually it
> makes perfect sense because we do not describe a website where you design
> layout, style, and text separately. So I'm fine if you organize the section
> to fit your requirements, at least since I can easily follow your
> argumentation. Perhaps you could add some of your considerations to the
> basic approach page, just to make the difference traceable. I think it's
> interesting on a scientific level too.
>
> >Presentation
> >* Design vision and principles
> >* Style (including layout and text guidance)
> >* Building Blocks
> >* Tools (mockup kit, etc.)
>
> I'm afraid that you will have two isolated section when you arrange the VDG
> below the presentation headline. If we violate the structure we could do it
> more effective. What's about:
> 1. Structure
> 1.1 Conceptual Model
> 1.1.1 Vision
> 1.1.2 Design vision and principles
> 1.1.3 Persona
> or
> 1.1 Conceptual Model
> 1.2 Design vision and principles
> 1.3 Task Flow

As already mentioned, I agree with Heiko that the design vision and principles
should be on a higher level of the hierarchy (especially since they currently
affect more than just the visual design). I like the second idea a lot!

> and
>
> 3. Presentation
> 3.1. ... (whatever you think how to organize this section)
>
> But I have difficulties to integrate the tools-part. Isn't it rather a best
> practice section at the style page? But don't hesitate to do your own thing.
> Panta rhei!
>
> PS: Don't you want to merge the old presentation pages with your new one's?
> I guess no one understands the difference between color and color set (I
> know it was me who was in doubt about full integration).

...and +1 here as well. I assume that integrating them was the plan anyway and
it just hasn't happened yet, though.