[kde-guidelines] Visual Design Guidelines + HIG

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:45:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Heiko Tietze wrote:

> ...Perhaps
> you could add some of your considerations to the basic approach page, just
> make the difference traceable.

Definitely, that's a great idea. I'll be sure to do that. The basic
approach page you're talking about is
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/About, right?

What's about:

1.1 Conceptual Model
> 1.2 Design vision and principles
> 1.3 Task Flow
>
> and
>
> 3. Presentation
> 3.1. ... (whatever you think how to organize this section)

That makes great sense to me. :-) I might add a quick reminder sentence as
a little preamble in the presentation section as well (so when folks come
looking specifically for visual design guidance they can find the overall
HIG design vision and principles easily). So sort of like:
3. Presentation
Become familiar with [design vision and principles] to understand how the
visual design plays its role in fulfilling them.
3.1 Style
3.2 Building blocks
3.3 Tools

PS: Don't you want to merge the old presentation pages with your new one's?
> guess no one understands the difference between color and color set (I
> know it
> was me who was in doubt about full integration).

Oh yes, certainly. The new userbase page link I shared with the proposed
structure had all the existing HIG presentation pages included and
identified the ones that need merging (color & color set, icon & icon
design). I could probably do a little better integration of parts of the
typography with the existing wording guidelines.

With the feedback Thomas' also provided, I think we have general agreement!
If I'm mistaken about that, please let me know. I'll go ahead and get
started tomorrow with this next phase of integration on the assumption we
have agreement.

Thanks so so much for considering this Heiko and Thomas. It really means a
lot and I hope the end result is something you find acceptable.

Much respect,
Andrew