[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Philipp Stefan sogatori at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:49:34 UTC 2014

On 22.03.2014 16:40, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Saturday 22 March 2014 16:10:15 Philipp Stefan wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
> Hi Phil,
> welcome to the HIG team!
>
>> Something more mailing list related:
>> How is a conclusion reached? Is there normally some kind of vote, or
>> will the one who edits the wikipage first the one who decides what's
>> being used? Also, is there some kind of place where the current "draft"
>> is saved, or does the current HIG wikipage function like that? I ask,
>> because I have a horrible memory and forget easily. Something along the
>> lines of "Issue | Decision" would be wonderful. I can, of course, also
>> make such a list only for myself :)
> So far, the process has been
> 1. Someone (so far usually Heiko) writes a first draft and puts it either on
> the wiki or the mailing list (usually both)
> 2a. We discuss the draft on the mailing list until all issues have been sorted
> out
> 2b. If others find small issues that don't need discussion (like misspellings
> or language imperfections), they directly edit the wiki
> 3. Changes are applied to the Wiki and we consider the guideline "released"
>
> So far we've been able to reach consensus on all matters without needing a
> vote (a vote doesn't make much sense with so few people, recently in fact only
> Heiko and me have been active on this list unless I dragged David Edmundson in
> to give some technical feedback).
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
Thank you for clearing that up! Sounds simple enough, simple enough for
me, which is always good. :)

I made a quick mockup of all the possible default styles/layouts of the
search field [1]. On the left one can see all the possible styles for
the unfocused search field that we've discussed so far.
1) Is just an entry field with the label "Search" (or "Filter"
respectively).
2) Is the same except that it follows elementary's HIG for the labeling [2].
3) Just a symbol without any label.
4) A symbol and a simple label ("Search" / "Filter")
5) A symbol and a label that follows elementary's HIG [2]

I made the "Busy" section on the left under the assumption that we'd
have choose to recommend "instant" search. If a query would take longer
a spinning (in this example blue) circle would appear. If we want to
explore philiphorger's [3] idea more, I can make a second overview.

I hope that'll help to settle for one version. :)

Cheers,

Phil

[1] http://i.imgur.com/NC8r0ii.png
[2] http://elementaryos.org/docs/human-interface-guidelines/search-fields