[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Mar 13 13:55:45 UTC 2014

On 11.03.2014 16:43, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2014, 15:23:06 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Do you guys agree that such an HIG is necessary? If so, I think we
>> should first decide whether KDE should stick to always visible search
>> fields or switch to hidden ones, then I can start writing the guideline
>> (unless Heiko would like to step up to do it ;) ).
>
> Let's start: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/SearchPattern
>
> PS: It's a pity that usability gets less attention in the last time. So to all
> readers of this mailing list: Please join the discussion! A simple go ahead
> would be nice at least... ;-)

In a very curious coincidence, just today someone started a thread in
the VDG forum to discuss his ideas for a Search HIG [1]! He found your
draft, but after reading the title "Search Pattern" he thought that it
did not concern search fields in the UI. This may point to a need to
change the title, but that's just a small thing.

What's more important is that he already put a lot of thought into this
and even created mockups. In order not to put him (and others who might
be interested in this) off by tellin them to subscribe to a mailing
list, I'd like to move the discussion to the forum thread and work on
this HIG there.
Therefore I'd like to invite you, Heiko, and anyone else who is
interested to join the discussion in the forum:

[1] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=120079

Thanks,
Thomas