[kde-guidelines] We need a Vision!

Björn Balazs b at lazs.de
Tue Mar 11 13:55:13 UTC 2014

(sorry for wild cross-posting! As we are not subscribed to every list, please
keep Heiko, Thomas and me in CC when answering)

Dear fellow KDEans...

we - Thomas, Heiko and me, aka the Usability guys - need a valid project
vision for our work and the current page about the vision of KDE is completely
outdated.

UX always serves a certain purpose. There is no universal good or bad.
In order to provide consistency and hence a smooth experience for the user,
the definition of what is desired and what not has to be made on a high level.
We call this a Vision.

We already made a first little shot [1] and got some helpful first reactions
from the community. But the vision is not only a very important part of the UX
process - it is also important for design and other shareholders.

We need to continue this work. With this mail, we invite you to help us shape
something that does not only stear UX work. Jens, we would esp. love if
someone from the design team would hop on, same is true for marketing - others
feel welcomed as well!

Next, within the group of vision-volunteers, we want to create a suggestion
for the vision. During this process, we plan to also again ask users about the
importance of different aspects if possible. Then we want to discuss the
Vision with you before we start a discussion with the broader community.

Do you have any better suggestion how to proceed?

Cheers,
Björn, Thomas & Heiko

[1] http://user-prompt.com/the-vision-of-kde/