[kde-guidelines] [kde-artists] We need a Vision!

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:34:44 UTC 2014

On 03/11/2014 06:55 AM, Björn Balazs wrote:
> (sorry for wild cross-posting! As we are not subscribed to every list, please
> keep Heiko, Thomas and me in CC when answering)
>

> Dear fellow KDEans...
>
> we - Thomas, Heiko and me, aka the Usability guys - need a valid project
> vision for our work and the current page about the vision of KDE is completely
> outdated.

The first sentence in the third paragraph is outdated. Except for the
reference to "KDE4", the rest of it is pertinent today. That would be
easy enough to change. It is not completely outdated.

What have you observed that is not captured by that vision?

> UX always serves a certain purpose. There is no universal good or bad.
> In order to provide consistency and hence a smooth experience for the user,
> the definition of what is desired and what not has to be made on a high level.
> We call this a Vision.

It would help me to understand how the UX driven by the current vision
(altered as suggested above) is different from one that would include
the pieces missing in the current vision?

> We already made a first little shot [1] and got some helpful first reactions
> from the community. But the vision is not only a very important part of the UX
> process - it is also important for design and other shareholders.
>
> We need to continue this work. With this mail, we invite you to help us shape
> something that does not only stear UX work. Jens, we would esp. love if
> someone from the design team would hop on, same is true for marketing - others
> feel welcomed as well!

Perhaps you would be willing to educate us on how the UX ties to the
vision. Is there a UX statement/structure that supports the current KDE
vision?

wisdom on line?

> Next, within the group of vision-volunteers, we want to create a suggestion
> for the vision. During this process, we plan to also again ask users about the
> importance of different aspects if possible. Then we want to discuss the
> Vision with you before we start a discussion with the broader community.
>
> Do you have any better suggestion how to proceed?

I am skeptical of the value of asking users about the vision. As Jos
wrote, KDE users are a diverse bunch. There are millions of people who
use KDE. They like what they've got, or they would tweak a couple of
things, or they are looking forward to the next surprises from KDE, or
it's better than Brand X, or they like questionnaires and want to be
helpful, or (fill in the blank). For the most part, they are not vision
people.

Some online equivalent to a walk&talk or get together over a beer with
committed talented people would be nice.

I'll give more thought to your last question; I don't have an immediate
alternative.

Carl