[kde-guidelines] [kde-artists] We need a Vision!

Björn Balazs b at lazs.de
Wed Mar 12 10:26:48 UTC 2014

Am Dienstag, 11. März 2014, 09:34:44 schrieb Carl Symons:
> On 03/11/2014 06:55 AM, Björn Balazs wrote:
> > (sorry for wild cross-posting! As we are not subscribed to every list,
> > please keep Heiko, Thomas and me in CC when answering)
> >

> > Dear fellow KDEans...
> >
> > we - Thomas, Heiko and me, aka the Usability guys - need a valid project
> > vision for our work and the current page about the vision of KDE is
> > completely outdated.
>
> The first sentence in the third paragraph is outdated. Except for the
> reference to "KDE4", the rest of it is pertinent today. That would be
> easy enough to change. It is not completely outdated.
>
> What have you observed that is not captured by that vision?

First it has the strong reference towards the transition to / creation of KDE
4. Seeing this vision was created more than 5 years ago and never found
broader acceptance (as I sensed it) I believe we should at least question and
possibly update it.

So, it can and should be a good starting point for an overhaul. During this
process a lot of these 'not so clearly defined marketing words' (e.g.
'technical excellence' - does that mean 'rock solid' or 'bleeding edge'?;
'seamlessly flowing' - so, no more applications or blending effects all over
the plac?) need to be clarified and if possible transformed into a reachable
goal.

In short: it needs to be updated, gain acceptance, get shorter and more
precise.

> > UX always serves a certain purpose. There is no universal good or bad.
> > In order to provide consistency and hence a smooth experience for the
> > user,
> > the definition of what is desired and what not has to be made on a high
> > level. We call this a Vision.
>
> It would help me to understand how the UX driven by the current vision
> (altered as suggested above) is different from one that would include
> the pieces missing in the current vision?

Most of the time there are different ways to do things. As consistency is the
by far most important aspect for a good user experience, UX has to define
which of these possible ways should be taken in which situation. So users
experience a consistent behaviour across different parts of KDE.

One example:
To activate a single setting, you can at least use a check box, a slider or a
toggle button. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. Currently the
decision which to use is usually taken by the application developer.
Consistency across KDE will hence automatically be harmed.

To be able to formulate rules about the use of 'single settings elements', UX
needs to know which goals should be reached. A good vision does not formulate
goals for every interaction element, but should allow us to derive the rules
out of it.

> > We already made a first little shot [1] and got some helpful first
> > reactions from the community. But the vision is not only a very important
> > part of the UX process - it is also important for design and other
> > shareholders.
> >
> > We need to continue this work. With this mail, we invite you to help us
> > shape something that does not only stear UX work. Jens, we would esp.
> > love if someone from the design team would hop on, same is true for
> > marketing - others feel welcomed as well!
>
> Perhaps you would be willing to educate us on how the UX ties to the
> vision. Is there a UX statement/structure that supports the current KDE
> vision?

The basic idea is that you should be able to derive sub goals and artefacts
from it and in the end can decide which way to design a certain interface. It
should be possible to directly derive Personas (artificial prototypic users)
and the intended field of use (what is in the scope - what is out?) from the
vision. Out of these we try to gain further artefacts, like environmental
settings, goals of the users, desired feelings when working with the
product,...

> wisdom on line?

'Vision is seeing a desired future state in enough detail to get there' from:
www.slideshare.net/UserZoom/slides-24661137

But honestly this is just the result of quick ddg search. Unfortunately I am
not aware of great online readings concerning the vision on its own. It is
part of most UX process descriptions though.

> > Next, within the group of vision-volunteers, we want to create a
> > suggestion
> > for the vision. During this process, we plan to also again ask users about
> > the importance of different aspects if possible. Then we want to discuss
> > the Vision with you before we start a discussion with the broader
> > community.
> >
> > Do you have any better suggestion how to proceed?
>
> I am skeptical of the value of asking users about the vision. As Jos
> wrote, KDE users are a diverse bunch. There are millions of people who
> use KDE. They like what they've got, or they would tweak a couple of
> things, or they are looking forward to the next surprises from KDE, or
> it's better than Brand X, or they like questionnaires and want to be
> helpful, or (fill in the blank). For the most part, they are not vision
> people.

I am a true believer in involving users. I do not claim to have the final
answer on excactly how users need to be involved into the vision creation
process - but I believe they need to be in order to gain final acceptance. So
we have to try & error it out. And in the end - despite of all the diverse
wishes - we can only deliver one product.

> Some online equivalent to a walk&talk or get together over a beer with
> committed talented people would be nice.

+1

Björn