[kde-guidelines] [kde-artists] We need a Vision!

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Tue Mar 11 15:07:40 UTC 2014

We worked on a Visual Design Vision in the beginning of the VDG project to
formalize and create a visual sensation that we wanted to implement.
This of course also spill over in our view of the UI elements (and why I've
been harassing poor Thomas Pfeiffer every day).

Also as for the marketing aspects two of us work and/or study copywriting and
are well versed in the marketing issues of design and all of us have
experience in communication methods for marketing and promotion.

As for our current vision we tried to marry the "selling points" of KDE and
Plasma, its technological achievements and brilliant technical behind-the-
curtain work with a more softer notion of high-tech.
To divorce it from the too vague "We like high-techy stuff" we added the
concept of the "future that never was". A positive sensation of technological
excellence. Our main issue now is to keep hammering that goal without making
it "gimmicky" (gimmicky things like the Steampunk theme, can be fun for a
short while but its not sustainable in the long run) and keep presenting it to
the community as a shared visual design goal.

So essentially trying to combine the current "selling points" with a grander
vision that didn't break the former ideas but refined them and could also be
presented as a "soft idea", an idea that conveyed emotion more than exact
factual details thereby creating a "marketing goal" in the process for the
visuals.

Anyway - long and the short. I would love to help out. I should forewarn you
though that I :
1) Talk like a viking epic when I'm tired (and these days "tired" could be
used as a vocational description for me)
2) Tend to be very stubborn
3) Have long conversations in my brain about ideas and then assume others
where present when they where, in fact, not.

:)

/Jens