[kde-guidelines] [kde-artists] We need a Vision!

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:29:21 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 11 March 2014 14:55:13 Björn Balazs wrote:
> (sorry for wild cross-posting! As we are not subscribed to every list,
> please keep Heiko, Thomas and me in CC when answering)
>

> Dear fellow KDEans...
>
> we - Thomas, Heiko and me, aka the Usability guys - need a valid project
> vision for our work and the current page about the vision of KDE is
> completely outdated.
>
> UX always serves a certain purpose. There is no universal good or bad.
> In order to provide consistency and hence a smooth experience for the user,
> the definition of what is desired and what not has to be made on a high
> level. We call this a Vision.
>
> We already made a first little shot [1] and got some helpful first reactions
> from the community. But the vision is not only a very important part of the
> UX process - it is also important for design and other shareholders.
>
> We need to continue this work. With this mail, we invite you to help us
> shape something that does not only stear UX work. Jens, we would esp. love
> if someone from the design team would hop on, same is true for marketing -
> others feel welcomed as well!
>
> Next, within the group of vision-volunteers, we want to create a suggestion
> for the vision. During this process, we plan to also again ask users about
> the importance of different aspects if possible. Then we want to discuss
> the Vision with you before we start a discussion with the broader
> community.
>
> Do you have any better suggestion how to proceed?

I do, as always, and I'd love to share some of the thoughts over a walk or
lunch ;-)

Also, count me in when it comes to putting in some thoughts and work.

I am a little skeptical - we're a very diverse community and I don't think you
can draft ONE vision for all of KDE - especially considering we're trying to
expand what KDE is further and further (improv is hardware, bodega & owncloud
& ghns are server, there's mobile, tablet, ...). But that note can and should
be part of any discussion...

/J