[kde-guidelines] HIG: Animations

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jul 29 12:33:19 UTC 2014

On 29.07.2014 11:20, David Edmundson wrote:
> Golden rule of Linux mailing lists. No comments == acceptance :D
>
>> * Do not use animation that take longer than 200ms, at least for frequently
>
>  From plasma the developer should use Units.shortDuration and
> Units.longDuration as appropriate.
> But we're back into the "goals of the HIG" discussion here.

No we're not. I agree that if we have an API for that, it should be
mentioned in the HIG because we'd prefer people to use it instead of
hard-coded numbers. I'd also add the actual numbers, though, for cases
where using the API is not possible.

>> ** Show a surface reaction on input (like a drop into water).
>
> This isn't very feasible.

I'd ask our designers whether that fits their design vision, anyway.

>> ** Accelerate and decelerate movement as if has a mass. Consider to correlate
> control size with mass and apply acceleration accordingly.
>
> The term we tend to use is "easing":
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qml-qtquick-propertyanimation.html#easing.type-prop
> In general we use "ease in-out" which means it accelerates to max
> speed, then slows down.

Okay, Heiko got that covered.