[kde-guidelines] Goal of the HIG

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Sun Jul 27 20:52:15 UTC 2014

Personally I see two stumbling blocks to the HIG

One is easy of access and the other is "selling the need".

By providing simple examples - perhaps even a cliff-notes version
of all we solve ease of access. Pictures with good and bad
examples.

Selling the need is trickier. Now unlike Gnome we can't put our foot
down and say "ok this is is the way we want it" - so we need to sell
the sizzle instead of the sausage (to quote Terry Pratchett's
character Cut My Own Throat Dibbler). The sensations and not the
real object, essentially. We can't deliver a complete set of looks for
everyone, there simply aren't enough of us so we need to sell the
urge to make it look like our suggestions. So the seconds we have
some good HIG's for it we should sit down and do mockups of
"apps we wish existed" and make certain everyone and their
grandmothers sees them and talk about them.

Really pick a part what we would love - then get everyone involved,
from Interaction to visuals to icons. Just go nuts. What would a
perfect "KDE suite" look like? What would "made for Plasma" be
like?

We pump this out to the community by introducing first the plans
and then inviting everyone to talk and toss ideas of applications
(that follow the HIG to the letter, thats the restriction). That way we
gain
1) everyone is talking about it
2) any kinks in the HIG's bit that are unclear or not inspiring enough
gets ironed out in that process
3) we get brilliant ideas thrown at us

On Sunday 27 July 2014 22.10.39 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> I think I generally agree with you Andrew. Especially the blog
posts
> seem a good idea to propagate our idea to the masses (of
developer :). I
> also really like your examples in the mockup toolkit.
>
> I agree that we can't and should not cover every case in the HIGs,
they
> should encourage to learn design skills.
> However, I genuinely think that there are some parts where a
stricter
> approach is desirable. I'm mainly thinking about Plasma
integration like
> notifications, status notifiers and system tray plasmoids.
>
> Widgets are my other pit peeve right now. I really do think that we
> should make some kind of widget collection when
QtQuickWidgets become
> more common. By basically only telling developers how it should
look and
> behave we "force" everyone to reimplement the same ideas in
each
> application separately. I think kinda think that's a waste of man
power
> and on the other hand leaves opportunity to accidentally leave
something
> out. But that's a think for the future.
>
> Heiko said that some of the document are much more a basis for
our work
> that the finished guidelines. Which is relieving. I'm sorry that this
> sounds much more negative that intended.
> Another thing that still makes me think is our use of the wiki
format.
> Almost all HIGs I read use a website with some kind of navigation
bar
> that that where one can see where one's at and what will come
next. Some
> topics e.g. Animations are then separated into several pages to
make the
> whole thing more digestible, so to speak. Maybe we should think
about
> this as well? Adapting our wiki organisation or adopting some
different
> site for the ""real"" developer guide (the concept I spoke about
> earlier. A guide that take a dev through all the design
considerations
> step by step)?
>
> But like David has suggested, I think Akademy will be an excellent
place
> to get feedback from developers and to make plans about how to
handle
> this in future.
>
> On 27.07.2014 20:06, Andrew Lake wrote:
> > Philipp I entirely agree with your concerns.
> >
> > I'm personally aiming for the following in the visual design
portion
> > of the HIG:
> > - Provide clear but concise guidelines in the HIG.
> > - Don't try to document and solve every potential design
ambiguity in
> > the HIG. Let examples help with that.
> > - Provide examples in the mockup toolkit.
> > - Provide examples and guides in the form of blog posts. The
main
> > reason I prefer the blog post approach is that design evolves
along
> > with problems and their solutions. We need a more timely
context for
> > things like examples. We also need to actively encourage folks
to NOT
> > wait for instructions but to just do - try stuff. Design is learned
by
> > doing, not reading about doing. That's what the VDG forums are
for: to
> > learn together.
> > - Leave room for creativity and innovation. We can't put a
straight
> > jacket on the inherently creative process of design. It needs
> > structure, no doubt, but it shouldn't become just an exam with
folks
> > nitpicking to tell you exactly how you failed on this or that
> > arbitrary point.
> > - We can provide theoretical basics and lengthy rationale for any
> > guideline in separate sections or pages. That makes it easier to
focus
> > on more direct, concise, digestible guidelines.
> >
> > Anyway concise guidelines + examples in blog posts is the best
> > approach I think.
> >
> > I hope to revisit several of the guidelines related to visual design
> > and work collaboratively to strip them down to the essentials so
that
> > designers and developers aren't wading through reams of text. If
I'm

<sogatori at gmail.com

> > <mailto:sogatori at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     Hello everyone,
> >
> >     I'm not sure if this is the right place to voice my concern as I
> >     want to discuss our general approach to to HIGs.
> >     Important disclaimer: I don't want to criticize anyone here. You
> >     are all some doing important work and I'm confident that we
can
> >     bring KDE Software forward. Also, this applies not to all HIGs,
> >     like the layout patterns etc.
> >
> >     I like this proposal, I think it includes everything that needs to
> >     be said and a bit more. My concern is, however, that we create
> >     more and more guidelines for the developers to read. I fear
that
> >     we increase the load of the developers instead of easing it.
Yes,
> >     we write guidelines, but we have more and more guidelines for
them
> >     to read. We can, of course, keep the guidelines as short as
> >     possible, but that won't help us much as long as we create
ever
> >     more of them. Another thing we have to work against is that
KDE
> >     doesn't have long standing history of high quality usability
> >     design. This kind of quality is also a learned skill, and I think
> >     we are not there yet.
> >     Another point why other platform have good designed
applications
> >     is IMHO that they try to take as much weigh off the developers.
> >     Of course all the HIGs are work in progress and always in a
state
> >     of change, but I think we really should focus more on making
> >     guides and not just guidelines. I think we should make a guide
> >     that shows step by step how make a good designed,
integrated
> >     Application. The guide should cover everything from point 1 of
> >     basic considerations over wording and animations to
integrating
> >     into Plasma in a linear way. Of course we can always
reorganize
> >     the HIGs in a way to fit this ideal or write such a guide, but I
> >     think we have to keep this concept in mind to come up with
> >     something that really helps developers.
> >     The way we currently organize things is a bit overwhelming for
me
> >     personally. There is no way to progress through the Usability
HIGs