[kde-guidelines] Goal of the HIG

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jul 27 20:59:54 UTC 2014

On Sunday 27 July 2014 22:10:39 Philipp Stefan wrote:

> But like David has suggested, I think Akademy will be an excellent place
> to get feedback from developers and to make plans about how to handle
> this in future.

Exactly.
The HIG is a product, and our users are people designing and developing user
interfaces. That's something one might forget easily, hence I call it to mind.

Being aware of this, we can use the human-centered design approach to design
the HIG. For this, the first step is analyzing the context of use, then the
user requirements. Admittedly, we haven't done that but it's never too late to
start.
Akademy is the ideal place for eliciting context of use and user requirements,
because we've got dozens of our users right there. So instead of thinking
about what our users _might_ need, we can directly ask them!
This is what I did when creating an HIG for a company I worked at, and it
worked pretty well. I conducted workshops with developers, asking them what an
HIG had to be like in order to be helpful for them.
Then I created a few HIGs and actually did a usability test with them! I gave
the developers some tasks to fulfill using the HIGs and found out what was
problematic. It worked wonderfully!

So we really should do this: Design the HIG in a user-centered way.Right at
Akademy.