[kde-guidelines] Goal of the HIG

Philipp Stefan sogatori at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 20:10:39 UTC 2014

I think I generally agree with you Andrew. Especially the blog posts
seem a good idea to propagate our idea to the masses (of developer :). I
also really like your examples in the mockup toolkit.

I agree that we can't and should not cover every case in the HIGs, they
should encourage to learn design skills.
However, I genuinely think that there are some parts where a stricter
approach is desirable. I'm mainly thinking about Plasma integration like
notifications, status notifiers and system tray plasmoids.

Widgets are my other pit peeve right now. I really do think that we
should make some kind of widget collection when QtQuickWidgets become
more common. By basically only telling developers how it should look and
behave we "force" everyone to reimplement the same ideas in each
application separately. I think kinda think that's a waste of man power
and on the other hand leaves opportunity to accidentally leave something
out. But that's a think for the future.

Heiko said that some of the document are much more a basis for our work
that the finished guidelines. Which is relieving. I'm sorry that this
sounds much more negative that intended.
Another thing that still makes me think is our use of the wiki format.
Almost all HIGs I read use a website with some kind of navigation bar
that that where one can see where one's at and what will come next. Some
topics e.g. Animations are then separated into several pages to make the
whole thing more digestible, so to speak. Maybe we should think about
this as well? Adapting our wiki organisation or adopting some different
site for the ""real"" developer guide (the concept I spoke about
earlier. A guide that take a dev through all the design considerations
step by step)?

But like David has suggested, I think Akademy will be an excellent place
to get feedback from developers and to make plans about how to handle
this in future.