[kde-guidelines] Layout

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Jul 25 17:56:51 UTC 2014

On Friday 25 July 2014, 10:26:56 Andrew Lake wrote:
> We put a lot of work into creating these guidelines (see the Methodology
> section at the bottom if you'd like understand a little about how it all
> came together). So please take a look and provide your feedback. Note that
> these guidelines are intended to address primarily top level application
> layout. It's not meant to address layout section colors and the like.
> Eventually we'll add an example to the guidelines and do blog posts with
> examples on applying the finalized guidelines.

Brilliant done! I'd recommend to put it at Structure: Task Flow and
Organization Model (which would either make it necessary to break down this
guideline or to combine the two headlines).

A few questions:

"Command patterns can be combined with navigation patterns and content
patterns..." Shouldn't it be required to always combine it?

Perhaps we should add an advice which buttons have to be applied to forms.
E.g. the wizard example has the navigation on bottom right but no cancel
button. But perhaps that is clear from the HIG on dialogs [1].

Classic tooltips are described at this page [2]. I don't understand it as a
navigation pattern, which would be rather the message panel at [3]. I gues you
have a layout with extended explanations in mind like the right pane at the
info center.

Greetings to Sniffyvale!

[1] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Dialogs
[2] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Tooltip