[kde-guidelines] Layout

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 19:43:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Heiko Tietze wrote:

> On Friday 25 July 2014, 10:26:56 Andrew Lake wrote:
> > We put a lot of work into creating these guidelines (see the Methodology
> > section at the bottom if you'd like understand a little about how it all
> > came together). So please take a look and provide your feedback. Note
> that
> > these guidelines are intended to address primarily top level application
> > layout. It's not meant to address layout section colors and the like.
> > Eventually we'll add an example to the guidelines and do blog posts with
> > examples on applying the finalized guidelines.
>
> Brilliant done!

Thanks!

> I'd recommend to put it at Structure: Task Flow and
> Organization Model (which would either make it necessary to break down this
> guideline or to combine the two headlines).

A pointer directly to Command Patterns from Task Flow and to Navigation
Patterns from Organization Model should work I think. The layout bullets
under Presentation/Style would be replaced by a pointer to this new top
level layout guidance.

> A few questions:
>
> "Command patterns can be combined with navigation patterns and content
> patterns..." Shouldn't it be required to always combine it?

Layout design as both a skill and discipline has multiple credible
approaches. I wanted to be careful to not suggest that our way is the only
right way, even if it is the way we're recommending. :-) Also the content
patterns don't cover all possible content so there will likely always be
some content layout design work not informed by these guidelines. As we get
confidence in it's application over time, I think we can revisit the
strength of the recommendation.

> Perhaps we should add an advice which buttons have to be applied to forms.
> E.g. the wizard example has the navigation on bottom right but no cancel
> button. But perhaps that is clear from the HIG on dialogs [1].

That's a good idea. Although, I think we might consider focusing not just
on forms (which can be used for just about anything) but instead on
recommendations for specific workflows. Something we could definitely work
on eventually though.

> Classic tooltips are described at this page [2]. I don't understand it as a
> navigation pattern, which would be rather the message panel at [3]. I gues
> you
> have a layout with extended explanations in mind like the right pane at the
> info center.

Awesome! I updated it to point to that. enoop is working on updated tooltip
layout guidance, especially to consider plasma tooltips. We'll review and
incorporate that into the overall tooltip guidance and post a separate
review for that.

> Greetings to Sniffyvale!

haha! It's a nice balmy day here with lots of bones for everyone!

Thanks for the review!
Andrew