[kde-guidelines] Hi! Introduction and short notes about the Plasma Sprint

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 17 21:21:11 UTC 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014 22:01:30 Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> > Well, officially we have that. There is the kde-artists at kde.org mailing
> > list, where people can request assistance from designers. The problem is
> > that there hardly are any designers left atm, so people rarely get a reply
> > there. Therefore I think just reviving that mailing list with new, active
> > people would already do the trick.
>
> Hmm wouldn't it be more... I dunno effective if we dragged such a thing
> into the forums instead? Perhaps ask for a subforum from the mods where
> discussion can be more easily maintained?
> (I am so sceptical of mailing lists, I'll sign up to the artist one and see
> if I can scrounge up some designers there too)
>
> Perhaps its just me being very anal and all but it really feels as if we
> might benefit from a more structured approach? :)

Thing is: Users love forums.
Devs, on the other hand, hate forums, but love mailing lists. You won't get
developers to use forums, they'll stick with mailing lists any time. I mean,
you might try your luck, but it's most likely going to be a waste of time.
Unless you convince devs that designers will only come if there's a forum. At
least some may swallow their pride and go to a forum if they are desperate
enough then.