[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Context menu

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Sep 22 13:13:25 UTC 2013

On Thursday 19 September 2013 22:10:52 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. September 2013, 19:56:40 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > > * Provide a context menu for implicit function, e.g. operations with
> > > list
> > > items.
> >
> > What do you mean by "implicit function"?
>
> I was afraid of this question. For instance, Copy and Paste are functions
> that all controls with editing feature provide by default and implicitely.
> I have no idea for a better wording.

I have to admit I still don't really get it... I get the "by default" but not
the "implicitly" part
Could you give a few more examples, so that maybe we'll understand it and can
brainstorm a wording which the HIG users understand as well?

> > > * Hide menu items that not apply at all.
> >
> > See my question in the menu bar HIG.
> >
> > We should clearly forbid things like "Show advanced transcoding options if
> > shoft key is pressed" in Amarok. Here is my suggestion:
> >
> > * Always show all menu items that apply. Do *not* show certain items only
> > if the user does a certain action (like pressing the shift key)
>
> My argumenation in menu bar includes an example. Let's define a menu with
> 'Burn CD, Burn DVD, Burn hologram'. I don't have the hardware to burn a
> hologram so please don't bother me with the (of course disabled)
> information.

Ah, now I get it. Maybe we should write "Hide menu items completely if they
are permanently unavailable on the user's system (e.g. due to missing hardware
capabilities or missing optional dependencies)." instead, then?