[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Context menu

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Sep 23 10:48:00 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag, 22. September 2013, 15:13:25 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > > What do you mean by "implicit function"?
> >
> > I was afraid of this question. For instance, Copy and Paste are functions
> > that all controls with editing feature provide by default and implicitely.
> > I have no idea for a better wording.
>
> I have to admit I still don't really get it... I get the "by default" but
> not the "implicitly" part
> Could you give a few more examples, so that maybe we'll understand it and
> can brainstorm a wording which the HIG users understand as well?
If you right click this mail, what do you expect? Probably Reply, Print,
Delete etc. - those are implicit functions, directly related to the
context/application.
Text will always contain 'Copy', 'Paste', 'Cut', file managers 'Move',
'Delete', 'Rename', browsers 'Forward', 'Backward', 'Open Link', image
processing tools 'Rotate left/right', 'Wallpaperize' and so on.
Implicit or core functions needs to be available via context menu (but not
solely). But the term core means to me 'Send' for emails, 'Save' for text
processing, 'Home' for browsers.

> Ah, now I get it. Maybe we should write "Hide menu items completely if they
> are permanently unavailable on the user's system (e.g. due to missing
> hardware capabilities or missing optional dependencies)." instead, then?
Verbose but clear :-)