[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Context menu

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Sep 19 20:10:52 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 19. September 2013, 19:56:40 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > * Provide a context menu for implicit function, e.g. operations with list
> > items.
>
> What do you mean by "implicit function"?
I was afraid of this question. For instance, Copy and Paste are functions that
all controls with editing feature provide by default and implicitely. I have
no idea for a better wording.

> > * Hide menu items that not apply at all.
>
> See my question in the menu bar HIG.
>
> We should clearly forbid things like "Show advanced transcoding options if
> shoft key is pressed" in Amarok. Here is my suggestion:
>
> * Always show all menu items that apply. Do *not* show certain items only if
> the user does a certain action (like pressing the shift key)
My argumenation in menu bar includes an example. Let's define a menu with 'Burn
CD, Burn DVD, Burn hologram'. I don't have the hardware to burn a hologram so
please don't bother me with the (of course disabled) information.