[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Tabs

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 10 22:33:30 UTC 2013

On Thursday 10 October 2013 21:33:15 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Thursday 10 October 2013, 20:12:06 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Ah okay, now I see that I confused vertical tabs with the Tool Box widget
> > [3]. I guess we need an HIG for that one as well.
> > Calligra managed to get vertically stacked tabs with horizontally written
> > labels for their tool options docker, though (see Calligra Words, for
> > example). I think they work way better than tabs with vertical labels
> > because you can read them comfortably. Maybe we should encourage them
> > instead?
>
> QToolbox is what I know as accordion. The discussion about is here [1].
>
> Encourage vertical tabs? Rather not:
> * Do not write novels at tab's label. :-)
>
> It would be okay when text length is not too different, and if some tabs can
> be stacked. Otherwise it looks weird.

There is currently the guideline
* Use vertical tabs for less than five options with static content. Prefer
vertical tabs for configuration content.

I don't think the tabs with vertical labels should be used anywhere, because
vertically written text should be avoided in general (and Amarok 2.0 showed
that users don't indeed don't like it). Therefore we should decide what should
be used instead of them.